• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

On Topic posts now (finally) viewable in Off-Topic

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's right, I finally figured it out- and without the server intensive 10 day search I had setup- but if you like that system I suggest using the "New Posts" option on the navbar which is exactly the same except it shows only new posts instead of the last 10 days... Alternatively you can use "Todays Posts" under quick links which shows all posts from today... if there is demand I will add a "Last 10 Days" to Quick Links too though I don't think that will be necessary anymore.

OK- so the new system works like this... When a thread is created in any "On Topic" forum it is also viewable in the main Off-Topic forum. It will list just like any other thread... when a new post is made to it, it will move to the top of the list like any other thread, both in OT and whatever on-topic forum it is in.

One limitation of this is that if the thread is a sticky in on-topic then it will not be visible in OT at all... since there is usually no stickies in OT besides the rules for each forum I don't expect this to be an issue.

Note- Only On Topic, Help & Support, and OT-Light are listed in OT.
The Learned Garden, TCR, VIP, other special forums, are not listed... You should visit these forums as usual to see new posts. Also it wouldn't hurt to check Help & Support once in a while too to see if there's a new sticky but I will try to let you guys know if there is one.

Finally the only annoyance I forsee is if you are in OT and visit a thread that is not from OT you may inadvertently go back to the on-topic forum instead of OT- unfortunately there is no fix for that at the moment but will do my best to try and figure it out- in the mean time use the back button or the direct link to OT on the forums navbar if available. Edit: This has been fixed thanks to a suggestion to add a direct link back to OT.

Of course this means I will be moving threads much quicker to appropriate on-topic forums but this won't affect the viewing of the thread so there should be no complaints about this. Also there may not be 'thread forwards' to the moved threads b/c they won't be necessary anymore.

Enjoy and sorry for the downtime...
Edit: Please post your opinion of this change in this thread.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I can understand this but any on-topic post would have been moved to on-topic by me even without this system so if you've ever replied to a cell phone thread for example it was and always has been moved... so if you don't want to reply to a topic that might be on-topic, then don't... or check which forum it's in before posting but even that means little because if it's on topic it will be moved at some point... just stay out of on-topic posts all together but again, this is not changed by adding this feature because they have always been moved before so really you haven't a leg to stand on for this.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I understand that. I also understand that by the more threads thrown to google the better chance we have of getting stumbled upon by some idiot.

I just need to be careful to check what I am replying to and how I am replying.
I would hope people were careful of that already... it is of course entirely possible I may make OT public once again, I've done it before and reserve my right to do it again. Policy has always been this is a public forum and not to post anything you wouldn't want googled even though we happen to not allow google at the moment. If you have anything private to post the best place to do it is VIP which will never be google indexed and is not part of this system.

twylie

VIP
yeah, this is a dud for me for the same reasons Cliff mentioned. Not planning on checking the forum breadcrumbs on every post and the potential visibility to the searchable results will cut my already minimal posting down ever further.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
yeah, this is a dud for me for the same reasons Cliff mentioned. Not planning on checking the forum breadcrumbs on every post and the potential visibility to the searchable results will cut my already minimal posting down ever further.
I don't understand, like I told Cliff, there is nothing new being done on my end besides moving posts to on-topic sooner rather than later... any on-topic thread you responded to would still have wound up in on-topic before I made this change- there is absolutely no difference in the outcome other than the thread continues to be viewable in OT... no ones privacy is any less secure since making this change... if you were going to post in a thread you'd have done it yesterday and tomorrow I would have moved it to on-topic, the only difference is that today I'll move it to on-topic and your response (if any) will still be there and be indexed by search engines in either case.

I've not done anything to change which posts are indexed and which ones aren't- the only thing that has changed is they will be indexed a few days faster. :shrug:

I'm willing to listen to legit criticisms on this but I want people to understand these aren't legit because nothing relating to indexing has changed... of course if there is major dislike for the change we can always go back, I really thought this was something most people wanted so please post up opinions one way or the other people.

Thanks.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Great way to gain more paying members jjj

In fact, I would have to put up with those damn medals in order to clear my posts.
I'm pretty sure you can delete posts as a non-paying member, just not entire threads- but nothing stops you from editing first posts down to nothing "." if you so want.:puzzled:

twylie

VIP
I don't understand, like I told Cliff, there is nothing new being done on my end besides moving posts to on-topic sooner rather than later... any on-topic thread you responded to would still have wound up in on-topic before I made this change- there is absolutely no difference in the outcome other than the thread continues to be viewable in OT... no ones privacy is any less secure since making this change... if you were going to post in a thread you'd have done it yesterday and tomorrow I would have moved it to on-topic, the only difference is that today I'll move it to on-topic and your response (if any) will still be there and be indexed by search engines in either case.

I've not done anything to change which posts are indexed and which ones aren't- the only thing that has changed is they will be indexed a few days faster. :shrug:

I'm willing to listen to legit criticisms on this but I want people to understand these aren't legit because nothing relating to indexing has changed... of course if there is major dislike for the change we can always go back, I really thought this was something most people wanted so please post up opinions one way or the other people.

Thanks.
The big difference as I see it is that I now have no indication that a thread and my post isn't in OT anymore. The "moved" arrow let us know that before and If I saw a thread moved that I posted in, I checked it to make sure I hadn't posted anything I didn't want indexed.

I appreciate the effort required to do this and if I'm just browsing, it's great, but it's unlikely I'll post with any frequency using that view. How about a separate catch all forum that aggregates all forums (edit:for people that like it with the new change)? As it stands now, OT isn't really OT anymore.

The man dies from beestings thread is a great example. Could easily see that being in OT without moving it, but now, the only way I know is check breadcrumbs once the post is opened.

Last edited:

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I'm not reading all the above.. I hate it and it breaks the "forum" link at the top of the thread I'm reading.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I can work on probably having an off-topic that only displays off-topic posts, would that work for you guys?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I can work on probably having an off-topic that only displays off-topic posts, would that work for you guys?
I would like a toggled option in the control panel rather than yet another link on the forum home page.

Allow me to turn it on or off.

I can see this all topics concept being useful since a thread posted in the Outer Darkness will remain viable longer. Or it can. But I also can understand the concern with not realizing what forum you are in when you post.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This is the most convoluted mod ever. If I want to see posts in other parts of the forum, I go there. Period.

This is just a "new posts" feature, but putting all of the threads in to off-topic?!?! WTF is is the point? Why have other sections at all then?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
yes, that would be preferable for me. Call the new version you created "All Topic".
Well I'm going to hold off on doing that for a day because if Monday's crowd is as strongly against this as everyone today then we'll just get rid of it, no harm done... I won't move any posts until we figure this out.

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
i dont get the tin foil for this, WGAF what is posted where, or what google see's or thinks... in the end, all the posts are where they were, the only difference is the visibility

joe: maybe the 'all topic' comment was on point... if the mod is unwelcome as it sits, then put it on a button at the top and call it all topic, in a way, that's actually pretty bitchin and even lazier than a new posts button

actually come to think of it, what *is* the difference :puzzled:

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
ok, i see like two subtle differences... the new posts button page actually tells you what forum the thread is in, but new posts by me are immune to this search, so it's really not exactly a new posts search per se...

the all topic setup shows everything, but doesn't tell you what forum the thread is in, it just teleports you there upon clicking.. so i guess the only hang up is once you jump forums like this, and reply, you can't 'up' your way back to all topic since the forum jump will default to the sub

ok so, maybe add something near the jump box that will let you direct connect to all topic?? this making sense at all?

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
No idea...seems like semantics to me.

yeah well like i said, there are small differences.. i think i would be down for a combo of it all, with a single page viewing all threads in all forums, not just thread bumped by everyone but me... that page would say what forum the thread is in, and the destination thread would need a default jump back to where you were before you clicked away

ooof... i almost couldnt compose that thought :headpat: