• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

On Topic posts now (finally) viewable in Off-Topic

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
doesn't work for sub forums of On Topic Forums, unless you meant that on purpose, then carry on

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
ok, i see like two subtle differences... the new posts button page actually tells you what forum the thread is in, but new posts by me are immune to this search, so it's really not exactly a new posts search per se...

the all topic setup shows everything, but doesn't tell you what forum the thread is in, it just teleports you there upon clicking.. so i guess the only hang up is once you jump forums like this, and reply, you can't 'up' your way back to all topic since the forum jump will default to the sub

ok so, maybe add something near the jump box that will let you direct connect to all topic?? this making sense at all?
Yes it does make sense... a link directly back to off-topic (or all-topic) right above or below the forum jump menu is certainly do-able.

The main difference between this and the new posts / past 10 days option is this adds no additional queries to the database, pulling threads in this way is actually very efficient in the scheme of things... The 'new posts' and similar options run a search which is a lot harder on the server and I was seriously concerned during busy times we might start getting server busy messages or grief from our gracious hosts. Doing it this way adds no additional load to the server except a php if statement.

doesn't work for sub forums of On Topic Forums, unless you meant that on purpose, then carry on
I purposely didn't bother with the wallpaper subforums as they haven't been used in months, if they ever get traffic I could easily add them. The Amazon subforum should be working.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
Can you give me more info on this broken link? What link is broke? :puzzled:
Ok... No broke per se... But unexpected behavior.

Use case time...

I am browsing "Off Topic"..
Click on thread to read....
I'm done reading thread. I click back on Forum header in crumb trail above to return to forum. (doing this as opposed to back reloads the forum and marks the read threads as "read" - not bolt[/b])
Poof.. I'm no longer in "Off Topic"... Found myself in some other forum because thats where the thread actually was in the first place.

This is the most convoluted mod ever. If I want to see posts in other parts of the forum, I go there. Period.

This is just a "new posts" feature, but putting all of the threads in to off-topic?!?! WTF is is the point? Why have other sections at all then?
:agree:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Ok... No broke per se... But unexpected behavior.

Use case time...

I am browsing "Off Topic"..
Click on thread to read....
I'm done reading thread. I click back on Forum header in crumb trail above to return to forum. (doing this as opposed to back reloads the forum and marks the read threads as "read" - not bolt[/b])
Poof.. I'm no longer in "Off Topic"... Found myself in some other forum because thats where the thread actually was in the first place.

I get ya...any chance you could get used to using the 'forum jump' menu which is, in my opinion, more intuitively located at the bottom of the post, where you naturally end up anyway? The jump menu now has a direct link to off-topic from any thread. I may be able to add a direct link back to OT in the 'breadcrumb trail" like:
JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > [OT] Off Topic Light > Thread Title
but I'm not as confident it will turn out a neat as that... also of course if you are using anything but the very basic theme there is the direct link back to OT in the secondary navbar.

I like it. I may actually be inclined to post my home improvement stuff in the house forum, rather than in OT and you having to move it later.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I get ya...any chance you could get used to using the 'forum jump' menu which is, in my opinion, more intuitively located at the bottom of the post, where you naturally end up anyway? The jump menu now has a direct link to off-topic from any thread....
I can try this ^^^... Sounds reasonable.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If there were a way to have a sub title showing the forum it originated in, I'd be less against it.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
I came back from my vacation and saw this... I thought I was still drunk. What a cluster fawk of disorganization. It completely negates the On-Topic sections.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I came back from my vacation and saw this... I thought I was still drunk. What a cluster fawk of disorganization. It completely negates the On-Topic sections.
There's maybe 4 threads at any given time active in OT that are from subforums... You can hardly call that a 'cluster fawk of disorganization' :rolleyes: The bottom line is the vast majority of users don't bother checking the on-topic forums even though they probably have useful info to contribute- so you'd rather those threads never get answered?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
There's maybe 4 threads at any given time active in OT that are from subforums... You can hardly call that a 'cluster fawk of disorganization' :rolleyes: The bottom line is the vast majority of users don't bother checking the on-topic forums even though they probably have useful info to contribute- so you'd rather those threads never get answered?
Joe, I think over time this thing can work. We've got traffic in the other sections that otherwise might not be there. And in the long term, that's a good thing.

Work on a toggle so the sandy vaginas can have what they want.