• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

S5 or S6

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
First day with on android, feel like I've stepped back in time. No live tiles? I feel like I'm living in a cave.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
what does a live tile do that a widget cannot? :puzzled:
With live tiles, I didn't have to open most apps, the app displayed the information I need.

News apps would scroll the current headlines of top stories
Sports apps would scroll headlines and scores
Stock apps would scroll stock info
I had a traffic app where the tile or icon showed the traffic for my route home. So just looking at the tile I could see if I needed to take back roads.
Weather Radar app whose tile displayed the current radar for my area
Calendar showed my next meeting
Email live tiles showed depending on the size either just the number of new emails or the number and the sender and title of the most recent. I could setup a new tile for each of my important inbox folders
Standard weather apps would tiles would flip from daily information to a weekly view or from one location to another.

on and on.

Essentially what you used the app for most was on the tile. changing as you resize the tile. Larger tiles, thinking they are more important, it provides more information. Smaller it shows just the most important.

It is available for most apps not just a few.

Most of the information I needed I could see just in a quick glance at my home screen. no scroll or opening 5-10 apps

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
With live tiles, I didn't have to open most apps, the app displayed the information I need.

News apps would scroll the current headlines of top stories
Sports apps would scroll headlines and scores
Stock apps would scroll stock info
I had a traffic app where the tile or icon showed the traffic for my route home. So just looking at the tile I could see if I needed to take back roads.
Weather Radar app whose tile displayed the current radar for my area
Calendar showed my next meeting
Email live tiles showed depending on the size either just the number of new emails or the number and the sender and title of the most recent. I could setup a new tile for each of my important inbox folders
Standard weather apps would tiles would flip from daily information to a weekly view or from one location to another.

on and on.

Essentially what you used the app for most was on the tile. changing as you resize the tile. Larger tiles, thinking they are more important, it provides more information. Smaller it shows just the most important.

It is available for most apps not just a few.

Most of the information I needed I could see just in a quick glance at my home screen. no scroll or opening 5-10 apps
so they are just widgets, what you explained is exactly what widgets do