• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The World Cup....

What impresses me about football is the accuracy of the QB arms and the huge guys who can run a 4.4 40
That is true. I have seen some spectacular football plays.

I just think baseball has the edge because the player has to play both sides. From what I understand, football players usually play a single role or at least stick to similar roles. In baseball, the player can be a great hitter but an awful defenseman. To be a truly good player he has to play well on both offense and defense.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It literally makes me angry and changes my entire demeanor when this garbage is on the television in my home.

I don't know why it makes me so mad to watch this trash.
I suggest you get rid of your TV. What TV shows do you not consider garbage? Certainly The World Cup is no worse than 90% of the crap already on TV?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The reason I've been somewhat enjoying the World Cup is because I like to see America win in a sport that we do half-assed at best and generally associate with children. We are playing teams whose countries care far more about "futball" than we do. We likely won't win it all but so many people hate America it's good to see us advance and piss off as many as possible. :clapping: :usflag:

mcatdtJEEP

The reason I've been somewhat enjoying the World Cup is because I like to see America win in a sport that we do half-assed at best and generally associate with children. We are playing teams whose countries care far more about "futball" than we do. We likely won't win it all but so many people hate America it's good to see us advance and piss off as many as possible. :clapping: :usflag:
Yeah, the "I hate America" crowd does get enraged over our successes in "their sport"

So, we are probably similar as we are only following the World Cup as far as the USA advances. So unless the US makes it to the finals, I probably won't even know who wins this cup.

It's the main reason I want the US to TIE today against Germany (as opposed to win).... both will advance us, but a tie will just lead all the speculators to think "the US/Germany agreed to draw" and their heads will explode with rage.

The only reason I know who won the Cup last time is all the big deal they made this past week when they failed to advance

I suggest you get rid of your TV. What TV shows do you not consider garbage? Certainly The World Cup is no worse than 90% of the crap already on TV?
If it wasn't for :wifey: I would not have a tv in my home.

Watching television is a waste of time.

You watch way too much television Joe.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Our best athletes play basketball, football, or baseball. :rotflmao:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If it wasn't for :wifey: I would not have a tv in my home.

Watching television is a waste of time.

You watch way too much television Joe.
The question is- what would you rather she or you watch that is better than the World Cup. To me it seems no worse, and arguably better than much of the crap on TV. :shrug:

neevo

Limey Hippo
The question is- what would you rather she or you watch that is better than the World Cup. To me it seems no worse, and arguably better than much of the crap on TV. :shrug:
It's one of the very few "reality/real life" shows on TV that isnt scripted

mcatdtJEEP

ok, soccer fans... someone said in 94, Germany was in a draw-fix game like they are this year and the second half, they were passing the ball with their noses while the other team 'tied their shoes'

I cant find it. Any truth to this?

mcatdtJEEP

Link

"You’re talking about a game that is decades ago,” USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann said in response to one of the first media questions he answered after his team's recent 2-2 World Cup draw against Portugal. “That is only a part of Germany’s history and not part of the United States’s history. I think if you look at the past of the US team, we always try to make things happen.”

What exactly was the German-born coach of the United States referring to? And why was the media so quick to reference a particular West Germany vs. Austria game from the 1982 World Cup?

Both questions have special meaning for the current predicament that the United States and Germany face heading into their final group stage game of the 2014 World Cup. After two games each, the World Cup's Group G is one of the only groups where all four teams remained in contention (some groups have since been decided in their third game). Obviously, the USA vs. Germany matchup has implications not merely for the two teams playing, but the other two members of the group as well.

Portugal and Ghana will be playing simultaneously to the USA-Germany game (Thursday at noon), and each have their own routes to possible qualification. Still, after playing in a staggered schedule previously in the tournament (where no two games were on at the same time), the side-by-side schedule ensures as little advantage for any team as possible (in terms of planning a result). And there's a reason for that: West Germany vs. Austria, 1982.
Algeria: Victims of their own success

It was completely the result of their own overachievement that Algeria were the victim of one of the great frauds in World Cup history. Having defeated the mighty Germans in their opening game, Algeria then lost to Austria. They rallied in their final game, getting a win against Chile. With four points (wins were only awarded two points at that point), they still needed help in the West Germany-Austria game. Namely, they needed either a West Germany loss/draw, or an Austrian loss by more than two goals.

In the end, they got neither, and it meant elimination. West Germany's Horst Hrubesch scored in the 12th minute, and the Austrians "failed" to get a goal, meaning a 1-0 result carried both teams through. Immediately after scoring, however, it became clear that there was something sinister at work. Both sides chose to continuously pass along their own defensive lines, spraying only the sporadic long ball harmlessly into the opposing side's half.
The fallout

It was noticeable particularly because the West Germans had attacked to vigorously prior to their early goal. That they now hung back was obvious, even the German commentator recognized the terrible tragedy.

"What is happening here is disgraceful and has nothing to do with football," Eberhard Stanjek told his listeners. "You can say what you like, but not every end justifies the means."

Austria's commentator agreed, telling his audience to turn their sets off, and refusing to speak for the last 30 minutes of the game.

Algerian fans in attendance waived money at the players as they left the field. Neutral Spanish fans (the World Cup was held in Spain in 1982) were stunned at what they had just seen.
Strange 2014 ties

Cruelly, West Germany would advance in the tournament all the way to the finals, before they ironically lost to Italy (whose best goal scorer had just come back from his involvement in the Totonero match-fixing scandal). Yet the game haunts Germany to this day, and was exactly why it was not only brought up immediately by journalists, but why Klinsmann (infinitely aware of the significance as a German), was so apt to answer it. It's also why every World Cup since 1982 has carried simultaneous kick offs in the final group stage games.

There will be no attempt to repeat history on Thursday (a draw would take both team through, USA in second, Germany in first), since the consequences would be disastrous for everyone involved. Still, in a final and seemingly fitting twist, guess who Germany will (most likely) face if they win the group?

You guessed it: Algeria.
seems there is precedent.... people were pissed, but the Germans advanced

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
I don't see how people can watch this garbage.

My wife is all into watching soccer these days, she even had friends over on Sunday to watch the game.

It is UNBELIEVABLE the amount of emotion her and her dumb friends put into watching strangers kick a goal. At one point, I told her to stop yelling at the television, as the players cannot hear her through the screen.

The ONLY thing positive about her watching soccer is that she has a thing for soccer players apparently and I get laid more.

other than that, it is a colossal waste of time.
When are you going to put one past her goalie :clapping: