• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The World Cup....

neevo

Limey Hippo
Damn, I was rooting for you guys :(

Now who's going to tell me that a 0-0 score at FT does not make an exceedingly exciting game. Pity I could only "watch" it using the BBC text feed thanks to being at work, and annoyingly , I missed ET by having to leave work and get home (didnt want security closing the gates on me )

There's always next time. At least you got further than that country that invented it - who were they now :shrug:

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP

Now who's going to tell me that a 9-9 score at FT does not make an exceedingly exciting game. Pity I could only "watch" it using the BBC text feed thanks to being at work, and annoyingly , I missed ET by having to leave work and get home (didnt want security closing the gates on me )

There's always next time. At least you got further than that country that invented it - who were they now :shrug:

9-9?!?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

Now who's going to tell me that a 0-0 score at FT does not make an exceedingly exciting game. Pity I could only "watch" it using the BBC text feed thanks to being at work, and annoyingly , I missed ET by having to leave work and get home (didnt want security closing the gates on me )

I will tell you that. It was exciting for a few minutes. The rules about the added time are ****ing stupid (3m added to regulation, then you add "two 15m periods" and it ends short of those 3m?) Useless ****ing game, I'm glad people will leave it alone for another few years.

I will tell you that. It was exciting for a few minutes. The rules about the added time are ****ing stupid (3m added to regulation, then you add "two 15m periods" and it ends short of those 3m?) Useless ****ing game, I'm glad people will leave it alone for another few years.
The extra time at the end of each period is to make up for time lost for various reasons during the period. The clock doesn't stop in soccer, so if a player is injured on the field and play stops for a few minutes, they add it on to the end of the period.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
The extra time at the end of each period is to make up for time lost for various reasons during the period. The clock doesn't stop in soccer, so if a player is injured on the field and play stops for a few minutes, they add it on to the end of the period.
Then the clock is meaningless

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The two 15m periods were added at the end of the game - the clock still said 93 when they were added. The game ended at 120 (plus the 1 added.) Tell me how that adds up in any way. If the clock bopped back to 90 when they started overtime okay, but it didn't.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The two 15m periods were added at the end of the game - the clock still said 93 when they were added. The game ended at 120 (plus the 1 added.) Tell me how that adds up in any way. If the clock bopped back to 90 when they started overtime okay, but it didn't.
When overtime started the clock was reset to 90 minutes even, not 93.

neevo

Limey Hippo
It's all about game play time. You have 90 mins in the match, if stoppages reduce this game time then time is added until play has reached 90 mins leading t the 90+4 time elapsed.

When extra time starts the time shown is then reset to gameplay time hence 90 mins

Just think of it as the game is played for the supporters and not so that TV companies can get their max advert breaks in (hence no time outs) and despite the lack of bending to the TV moguls there is a lot of money to be made in the sport - some of the biggest sports clubs in the World are footie clubs - ManYoo, Barcelona, Bradford City...

Just remember it's game play time not time elapsed and each game is 90 mins long

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
It was? That makes sense then. I thought it stayed at 93.
first half, the clock goes to 45:00 + any extra time (normally 1-2 minutes). Then when the 2nd half starts, the clock is reset to 45:00 and goes to 90:00 + any extra time (anywhere from 1 min to 6 min). Then if extra time comes into play, the clock resets to 90:00 and goes to 1:05:00 + extra time and then after a short break the clock is reset again to 1:05:00 and goes to 1:20:00 + extra time

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
so they wont stop the clock temporarily to remove an "injured" player, yet they'll arbitrarily tack on extra time? :rotflmao:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Every game I watched if the "favorite" team would benefit from extra time the extra time allocated was 4, 5, or 6 minutes, and if the "favorite team" would be hurt by extra time the time allocated was 1, 2, or 3 minutes.

This held true in EVERY single match I watched EVERY single time- without fail.

Referees don't want a clock because they would lose the control they have. A clock is fair and impartial, a referee is not.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Every game I watched if the "favorite" team would benefit from extra time the extra time allocated was 4, 5, or 6 minutes, and if the "favorite team" would be hurt by extra time the time allocated was 1, 2, or 3 minutes.

This held true in EVERY single match I watched EVERY single time- without fail.

Referees don't want a clock because they would lose the control they have. A clock is fair and impartial, a referee is not.
Biased officiating is claimed in almost every game of every sport. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it's just sour grapes - you just have to hope that the majority of the officials have integrity. I wouldn't be surprised if the officials were a bit biased against the US, since we talk about how stupid soccer is and were doing pretty good. I didn't see any, but I honestly don't know the rules of the game. I think it's weird that you can kick someone in the face (even though it was completely accidental and you apologized for it) and draw no penalty, but two guys lunging for the ball have their ankles connect and one person gets penalized as if the same thing didn't happen to each of them. But like I said, I don't know (or care to know) the rules. It doesn't look like they have many.