• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The World Cup....

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
:naw: It still exists because it is the most popular sport on the planet :mrwave:

Congrats to team USA anyway esp. 'cos you knocked out Portugal :jump:
...we just agreed, dipshit. It's the most popular sport on the planet because poor people can play it with just a ball. That doesn't mean it's good, it's right up there with "keep away" and "hide and seek." For ****'s sake "the floor is lava" could just as easily be the most popular sport on the planet.

Cornholio01

Apparently, you have to qualify in the world cup prior to this current round.
Yes, it goes for maybe a year prior to the Cup. Each continent has a tournament, each do different formats. North America, for example, its final stage is a group of six countries that play round robin for a total of ten games. several top teams move on to the WC, I think its the fourth this time (mexico) that went to a home & home series playoff w/ another continent.

Each continent has a prescribed number of WC slots, & its adjusted after each cup. Europe gets an absurd amount, 16 I think?

I don't understand why we're still "in" it. What's this knockout thing?
Its like Olympic hockey.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Watching on the WATCHEspn app on my phone in my office :pirate:

Sure wish our IT dept didn't throttle down streaming media, though :(

Watching it now while I wait for one of my experiments to finish. Say what you want about soccer, but getting paid to watch it isn't a bad deal.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Oh My God!

That chance at the end of stoppage time would have sealed it!!