• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Would be kinda fun to turn it into a stroker while you were at it though. Do it just to make all this BS you are going through worthwhile!

:agree:
I've been reading up on 4.0 strokers. Looks like you can do a budget build for cheap. I'm thinking that one of the 4.5L builds wouldn't be much more than the rebuild.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's a lot of miles to just slap in unless you are going to do a stroker.

Or I'd find a better engine to swap in, too.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That's a lot of miles to just slap in unless you are going to do a stroker.

Or I'd find a better engine to swap in, too.
Like I said, the 180k engine is a temporary solution while I take the time to rebuild the original 4.0. I'm very interested in doing a stroker, but the bottom line is that once the original engine is rebuilt, it'll be a "zero mile" engine that's completely rebuilt.

Chevtech

Secret forklift mechanic
I've been reading up on 4.0 strokers. Looks like you can do a budget build for cheap. I'm thinking that one of the 4.5L builds wouldn't be much more than the rebuild.
Do this and we shall forgive this moronic multi-swap BS due to the claim that it was buying time to build a stroker.

:spinonhead:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Do this and we shall forgive this moronic multi-swap BS due to the claim that it was buying time to build a stroker.

:spinonhead:
Since I already intend to have it bored and to install a fresh cam & lifters, I think the only added expense would be the 4.2L crank and larger fuel injectors.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Go Hemi or go home :pirate:
The problem with full-on custom swaps like that is that you'll always have issues to deal with. Ignoring the cost, a stroked factory engine will almost always be a cleaner and more reliable option than a V8.

Oh hell yeah!

If I had $10k laying around that would be on the list of shit to blow it on.
10k? i researched an ls1/6spd swap for the c3. found donor trans ams and camaros for $4000..

can prolly pick and pull a ls1/6spd for $4k...

5.3's are dirt cheap

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I love it when everyone claims a GM motor swap being a great, cheap option. Cost effective is the donor and possible rebuild.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
10k? i researched an ls1/6spd swap for the c3. found donor trans ams and camaros for $4000..

can prolly pick and pull a ls1/6spd for $4k...

5.3's are dirt cheap
I was thinking crate engine :mrtiphat:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I installed a GMPP crate motor in my YJ. To make everything function and handle just shy of 400hp, it cost me well over $10k. Shit, the motor fully dressed was over $6k.

Yes, install a crate motor to save money. jjj

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I love it when everyone claims a GM motor swap being a great, cheap option. Cost effective is the donor and possible rebuild.
I've seen some cheap redneck crap before, and I have no desire to deal with that. I'd want to do it properly and little things like my oil pressure not reading or my factory tach not working would drive me bonkers.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
The problem with full-on custom swaps like that is that you'll always have issues to deal with. Ignoring the cost, a stroked factory engine will almost always be a cleaner and more reliable option than a V8.
Bullshit

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Are you from New England? Every NEer I've ever met has been intent on keeping everything they own running until it literally falls apart. Doesn't matter if it's a car, a TV, a computer, a couch or a grandmother.

Friend of mine comes from a moneyed family on Cape Ann and yet he keeps pumping money into a Volvo 240 and his iBook must be nearing 10 years old.

Regardless, I will enjoy watching this :jump: