• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Are you from New England? Every NEer I've ever met has been intent on keeping everything they own running until it literally falls apart. Doesn't matter if it's a car, a TV, a computer, a couch or a grandmother.

Friend of mine comes from a moneyed family on Cape Ann and yet he keeps pumping money into a Volvo 240 and his iBook must be nearing 10 years old.

Regardless, I will enjoy watching this :jump:
Virginia. :gingerjump:

I find it mildly amusing that I'm getting so much grief for wrenching on my TJ rather than throwing it away or blowing money on dealership service departments. I've read many posts bragging about tool collections and mechanical aptitude. Do people here just collect tools for the hell of it, without ever actually turning a wrench?

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I find it mildly amusing that I'm getting so much grief for wrenching on my TJ rather than throwing it away or blowing money on dealership service departments. I've read many posts bragging about tool collections and mechanical aptitude. Do people here just collect tools for the hell of it, without ever actually turning a wrench?
Most here will not **** around when it comes to their DD. :shrug:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I think my problem is you're putting a bandaid on that engine that WILL fail shortly. Do it once and do it right. Wrench on it on your own, fine...I do...but putting a near-200k mileage motor in it isn't my thing.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I think my problem is you're putting a bandaid on that engine that WILL fail shortly. Do it once and do it right. Wrench on it on your own, fine...I do...but putting a near-200k mileage motor in it isn't my thing.
So your solution would be what? Pull the engine and be down a DD until I finish the rebuild? Buy a reman engine for 3x the cost and equal reliability? A local Jeep mechanic told me he put 3 reman engines in for a customer before they got a good one.... all at the expense of the customer. Buy anything newer that I can find new, then sell it for a loss to buy what I want when I find it? Please Steve, mentor me.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I meant that when it comes time for engine swaps and the like, a DD is done as far as most are concerned.
How do you read the statement "Looks like I'll be buying a new vehicle sooner than later", in reference to the engine in the TJ taking a dump? Seems like we're on the same page. :puzzled:

Justin

Damn.
VIP
How do you read the statement "Looks like I'll be buying a new vehicle sooner than later", in reference to the engine in the TJ taking a dump? Seems like we're on the same page. :puzzled:
The fact that you are already not driving a new (to you at least) DD says you are "****ing around" more than most would. :shrug:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The fact that you are already not driving a new (to you at least) DD says you are "****ing around" more than most would. :shrug:
I'm actively looking and have two dealers looking for a vehicle for me. I think I can survive carpooling with the :wifey: for a few weeks in an effort to get what I want rather than settling for anything.

edit: I suppose I should be out test driving Muranos or some GM chitpile that has more failures in the first 20k that my TJ had in 245k?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So your solution would be what? Pull the engine and be down a DD until I finish the rebuild? Buy a reman engine for 3x the cost and equal reliability? A local Jeep mechanic told me he put 3 reman engines in for a customer before they got a good one.... all at the expense of the customer. Buy anything newer that I can find new, then sell it for a loss to buy what I want when I find it? Please Steve, mentor me.
I'd find something with lower miles, as a start.

Is your Jeep down completely at this time?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I feel the exact opposite. I trust my work more than an unknown mechanic.
I do, too. If my engine were to grenade on my way home tonight I would pull and rebuild it, and have it back on the road one day next week. I know it's the holidays, but I'd skip a few days of work (plenty of time off built up, nothing much going on right now anyway) and with Christmas on Sunday there would be essentially no disruption in getting the parts shipped and whatever machine work may need done. It would be an annoying pain in the ass, but I wouldn't double the pain by juggling another engine into the mix.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'd find something with lower miles, as a start.

Is your Jeep down completely at this time?
I'm looking for something with under 60k.

Jeep runs with a severe knock. No loss in power, oil pressure, or rough running/idle. I intend to drive it to the shop Friday when we'll be putting the ZJ engine in it. I'm not driving it until then because I don't want to throw a rod, as that would ruin my day and probably prevent me from rebuilding it.

I do, too. If my engine were to grenade on my way home tonight I would pull and rebuild it, and have it back on the road one day next week. I know it's the holidays, but I'd skip a few days of work (plenty of time off built up, nothing much going on right now anyway) and with Christmas on Sunday there would be essentially no disruption in getting the parts shipped and whatever machine work may need done. It would be an annoying pain in the ass, but I wouldn't double the pain by juggling another engine into the mix.
I don't have time to do a rebuild this week, and since it's something I'll enjoy doing myself, I don't want to farm it out. Don't need the Jeep given the fact that I can easily car pool, but would prefer it be on the road should winter weather become an issue.

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Lowest cost, fastest solution is to install same motor. High miler or not. Seems pretty simple really.

Everyone saying go with the GM V8 either:

a) doesn't own a jeep, but if they did, that's what they'd LIKE to do - pipe dream

b) owns a Jeep and that's what they'd LIKE to do - pipe dream

c) hasn't a clue what truly needs to be done to accomplish V8 swap so the Jeep doesn't grenade the first time you get after it.

d) is just fawking with you

jjj

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Lowest cost, fastest solution is to install same motor. High miler or not. Seems pretty simple really.

a) doesn't own a jeep, but if they did, that's what they'd LIKE to do - pipe dream

c) hasn't a clue what truly needs to be done to accomplish V8 swap so the Jeep doesn't grenade the first time you get after it.

jjj
Pretty much. Seems pretty simple to me. 8 hours over the course of a week to get the TJ running with less concern for a thrown rod, and plenty of time to research and execute a rebuild or stroker rebuild while still having the TJ running for bad weather. Even if I were picking up my new M3 tomorrow, I'd do the same thing, for the same reasons.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Why would the customer be paying for three engines?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The customer paid for three installations. The engines were warrantied. Point being that the cheaper reman engines aren't exactly a slam dunk when compared to a leaking one from a 180k ZJunk.

Chevtech

Secret forklift mechanic

jjj

Agreed!

Pretty much. Seems pretty simple to me. 8 hours over the course of a week to get the TJ running with less concern for a thrown rod, and plenty of time to research and execute a rebuild or stroker rebuild while still having the TJ running for bad weather. Even if I were picking up my new M3 tomorrow, I'd do the same thing, for the same reasons.

The 4.0 is a strong motor. I had the 4.2 with a cam in it and it seriously rocked! Make it a stroker, put a mild cam in it and you will have more power than you will ever need short of mud-bogging with 44s!

:agree::rockz::agree:

The customer paid for three installations. The engines were warrantied. Point being that the cheaper reman engines aren't exactly a slam dunk when compared to a leaking one from a 180k ZJunk.
"Rebuilt" doesn't mean shit anymore.

:slapz:

I'd take a 150K unmolested motor over most "rebuilt" motors in this day and age.

:idmo:

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Are you going to make more in selling ZJ parts than you have into this? That's the only way I could personally justify it. You paid $500 for the ZJ... plus you're going to have another $200? in misc parts and tools.

Unless you make more than that on the ZJ misc parts sale (I don't know what a 180k mile 242 is worth, but I can't imagine it's a ton), it seems like it might have been a better plan to rent a car and do an express rebuild of your TJ motor. You could probably get about a month and a half worth of a rental car.

But if you're enjoying this, more power to you. I can sort of understand the appeal - there's a sense of pride involved. But I enjoy having a little project car to tinker with, not a DD.