• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Everyone claims this. I've done it and know exactly what everything cost me. I was going to go LS6 and was talked into the other. I could not use the stock gauges either way. Either motor would ****ing destroy shitty Jeep drivetrain components.

Floss some dough and do your claimed economy build and list all costs. I guarantee it will cost substantially more than dropping in a $300 4.0l with a seal kit. Reality.
The only jeep drivetrain left are the axles. He will be very close to the 3.5k ill have in my swap.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I cant say I understand your effort in this. 180K on the motor? Couldnt you have got one with under 100K for $500 or less? Then again, :bho: prolly grossly inflated the price of 4.0s when he put so many out of commission. :jump:
Local salvage yard had one for $650 with 141k and $700 with 180k. Local Jeep mechanic says the prices are nuts and a good block is hard to find due to C4C. He would probably know. He always has a bunch at his shop.

Will if you want a brand new stock mopar oil pump, pickup, stock clevite rod bearings, and everything down to the plastiguage let me know. I have all that stuff new and unopened and sitting in my garage. Give it all to you for half of what it cost me.
Might take you up on it. Won't know if I can use them until I get the machine work done.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
I predict the TJ and the M3 will both go horribly wrong. Will's good luck with his 240k mile TJ has come to an end, replaced with with questionable judgment and an empty wallet.

Bookmark it. :pirate:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I predict the TJ and the M3 will both go horribly wrong. Will's good luck with his 240k mile TJ has come to an end, replaced with with questionable judgment and an empty wallet.

Bookmark it. :pirate:
Probably so. I'm a bit frustrated with the M3 search. I really was hoping to see them more in the $25k range. Not sure how I feel about getting a 2004 that's not the color I want without the wheels I want, just to get into the price range I'm happier with.

Maybe I need to find a Silver/black 2004 with 19's and call it a day @ $18k. Wonder if my luck would be any better.

So here's the progress on the ZJunk engine. I've got it home and have picked up my seals and water pump. Going to get it on the engine stand tomorrow, but need to pick up some longer bolts to attach it. Gonna hit up a local place called Valley Fasteners that's great for getting any bolt you'd ever need.

The freeze plug and one of the water jacket plugs under the flywheel plate look brand new. Not sure what's up with that.

Nadeaux

Probably so. I'm a bit frustrated with the M3 search. I really was hoping to see them more in the $25k range. Not sure how I feel about getting a 2004 that's not the color I want without the wheels I want, just to get into the price range I'm happier with.

Maybe I need to find a Silver/black 2004 with 19's and call it a day @ $18k. Wonder if my luck would be any better.
Buy a 330 in the color combo and do a M3 motor swap.

BTW I just noticed that 2012 M3's are 100k, WTF overpriced.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Buy a 330 in the color combo and do a M3 motor swap.

BTW I just noticed that 2012 M3's are 100k, WTF overpriced.
I don't like base 3 series. They do nothing for me. The M3 has a distinctly different stance and look from the front & back.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I think if he drove one he would change his tune.
Think so? I realize the M3 is a 2 door, but it does have four seats. In my opinion the M3 makes some trade-offs, but is a otherwise a pretty reasonable DD.

Mike

VIP
Think so? I realize the M3 is a 2 door, but it does have four seats. In my opinion the M3 makes some trade-offs, but is a otherwise a pretty reasonable DD.
I do think so, especially a C6. If you need a backseat, I guess the Vette isn't an option. But otherwise, you get more car for your money with the Vette.

Nadeaux

If you really need a back seat you need a 4 door. Backseats in a coupe are for people who don't have a need for a back seat but are trying to justify a car as being practical.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If you really need a back seat you need a 4 door. Backseats in a coupe are for people who don't have a need for a back seat but are trying to justify a car as being practical.
Exactly. Don't need regularly, but it's good to have for those times that you need it.