• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I paid $300 for the ZJ. I figure I can easily recoup that from the drivetrain.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
Why would the customer be paying for three engines?
I think the questions here surround swapping the engine twice and doing this with a daily driver rather than a project car.

I would definitely drop a crate stroker in there, myself. Least amount of problems making it fit, nice power increase, Quick turn-around, and no risk of a rebuild going wrong.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Lowest cost, fastest solution is to install same motor. High miler or not. Seems pretty simple really.

Everyone saying go with the GM V8 either:

a) doesn't own a jeep, but if they did, that's what they'd LIKE to do - pipe dream

b) owns a Jeep and that's what they'd LIKE to do - pipe dream

c) hasn't a clue what truly needs to be done to accomplish V8 swap so the Jeep doesn't grenade the first time you get after it.

d) is just fawking with you

jjj
You bought the biggest POS crate motor GM ever put out and paid 6x what a good low mileage LS setup would cost :rotflmao: They are so commonplace that with the exception of burning the motor mounts in, everything else in the swap is bolt in using Novack parts. More power, better mileage, more reliable > 40 year old design inline turd

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/pdfs/tj_engine_mounts.pdf

You bought the biggest POS crate motor GM ever put out and paid 6x what a good low mileage LS setup would cost :rotflmao: They are so commonplace that with the exception of burning the motor mounts in, everything else in the swap is bolt in using Novack parts. More power, better mileage, more reliable > 40 year old design inline turd

it is not just jeep, people are putting ls based engines in EVERYTHING. pick a vehicle and you'll likely find a ls swapped version of it. it also appears that the prices are way down since i explored it due to the common place this swap has become...

now, that does not mean i'd do this swap on a 245k mile tj, i wouldn't. i was just stating the ls based engine is superior to the hemi garbage....

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
it is not just jeep, people are putting ls based engines in EVERYTHING. pick a vehicle and you'll likely find a ls swapped version of it. it also appears that the prices are way down since i explored it due to the common place this swap has become...

now, that does not mean i'd do this swap on a 245k mile tj, i wouldn't. i was just stating the ls based engine is superior to the hemi garbage....
A truck/suv 5.3 drivetrain with accessories and all wiring is going for less than a grand.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP

It doesn't matter. You have to alter shit if you're going to increase the hp that much. It costs a lot to do. If the TJ was designed for 300+ hp, it would be different.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I figure AA or Novak can make you an adapter for the transmission, everything else is pretty straightforward.
Indeed. The R&D shouldn't cost much. I see this as a viable option. It might require slight driveshaft modification. Again, not a problem.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
It doesn't matter. You have to alter shit if you're going to increase the hp that much. It costs a lot to do. If the TJ was designed for 300+ hp, it would be different.
Like what? All you are using is the jeep body, frame, suspension and axles. THe motor is lightter than the boatanchor it replaces. Leave the auto tranny attached to the motor, use a GM np231 front half and jeep np231 rear for the transfer case. The stock gauges can be easily made to work with the new motor. I can get a 8.8 installed (if it has the d35 and not factory 44) in the back for $150 that will more than handle the power and jy extra 30 shafts for the front. You did your swap the wrong, expensive way. LS swaps are EXTREMEly commonplace.

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Like what? All you are using is the jeep body, frame, suspension and axles. THe motor is lightter than the boatanchor it replaces. Leave the auto tranny attached to the motor, use a GM np231 front half and jeep np231 rear for the transfer case. The stock gauges can be easily made to work with the new motor. I can get a 8.8 installed (if it has the d35 and not factory 44) in the back for $150 that will more than handle the power and jy extra 30 shafts for the front. You did your swap the wrong, expensive way. LS swaps are EXTREMEly commonplace.
Everyone claims this. I've done it and know exactly what everything cost me. I was going to go LS6 and was talked into the other. I could not use the stock gauges either way. Either motor would ****ing destroy shitty Jeep drivetrain components.

Floss some dough and do your claimed economy build and list all costs. I guarantee it will cost substantially more than dropping in a $300 4.0l with a seal kit. Reality.

ccsp

Hello internet
VIP
I cant say I understand your effort in this. 180K on the motor? Couldnt you have got one with under 100K for $500 or less? Then again, :bho: prolly grossly inflated the price of 4.0s when he put so many out of commission. :jump:

Everyone claims this. I've done it and know exactly what everything cost me. I was going to go LS6 and was talked into the other. I could not use the stock gauges either way. Either motor would ****ing destroy shitty Jeep drivetrain components.

Floss some dough and do your claimed economy build and list all costs. I guarantee it will cost substantially more than dropping in a $300 4.0l with a seal kit. Reality.
i don't believe anyone was comparing an ls based swap to a $300 used engine. oac posted a link to a nearly $4k stroker based off the 4 liter. that is when i chimed in.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Will if you want a brand new stock mopar oil pump, pickup, stock clevite rod bearings, and everything down to the plastiguage let me know. I have all that stuff new and unopened and sitting in my garage. Give it all to you for half of what it cost me.

ccsp

Hello internet
VIP
Will if you want a brand new stock mopar oil pump, pickup, stock clevite rod bearings, and everything down to the plastiguage let me know. I have all that stuff new and unopened and sitting in my garage. Give it all to you for half of what it cost me.
Bro, its Crimmus. Give it to him for a giff. :diversity: