• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Why in this day and age does crap like this still exist?

pejeeper

Ninjas need not apply
VIP
Just because it is new it doesnt mean it it isnt faulty. Possibly it exceeded the load of the breaker which tripped to protect itself.
15 amp breaker should NOT trip with only a corded drill on it. The safety popped when the drill trigger was released.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
15 amp breaker should NOT trip with only a corded drill on it. The safety popped when the drill trigger was released.
The point is- a corded drill with a short or malfunction could trip any breaker. How do you know the fault is with the breaker and not the drill?

Canadian_gal

I remember when I was up in Scotland two summers ago, the airline had lost my luggage for two days, including my converter. I couldn't even charge my laptop or anything because it obviously couldn't plug in. The hotel staff and I were saying how much easier things would be if the whole world would just have one type of power socket. We were wondering why there'd be so many different sockets.

pejeeper

Ninjas need not apply
VIP
The point is- a corded drill with a short or malfunction could trip any breaker. How do you know the fault is with the breaker and not the drill?
B/c the same thing happened with the shop vac upstairs (different circuit), the mitre saw in the livingroom and the tile saw on the back deck.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
B/c the same thing happened with the shop vac upstairs (different circuit), the mitre saw in the livingroom and the tile saw on the back deck.
Obviously these breakers are intended to pop for voltage or current spikes. When a motor is turned off, the collapsing magnetic field into the motor windings creates a spike. So the breaker pops. Shitty design.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Obviously these breakers are intended to pop for voltage or current spikes. When a motor is turned off, the collapsing magnetic field into the motor windings creates a spike. So the breaker pops. Shitty design.
Good deal for the union electricians though, they must make a killing on service calls to these new homes.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I remember when I was up in Scotland two summers ago, the airline had lost my luggage for two days, including my converter. I couldn't even charge my laptop or anything because it obviously couldn't plug in. The hotel staff and I were saying how much easier things would be if the whole world would just have one type of power socket. We were wondering why there'd be so many different sockets.
Any hotel worth anything should have had at least the plug shape converter on hand that would be fine for laptop use.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
C_G, 99.99% chance your laptop has a power pack that's rated from 110V-240V 50/60Hz. That means you can charge it anywhere on the planet.

Look at the power pack and read what voltage it's good for, then look at the frequency. I'll be dipped it shit if it doesn't say exactly what I typed above.

Ardvark

i think the breakers he is talking about are for static electricity
I thought they are only required in bedrooms

MJM

Sweet, terrible freedom
afci breakers are only required in bedrooms.
I looked on the internets and there is a lot of information on anything with motors tripping afci breakers.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
afci breakers are only required in bedrooms.
I looked on the internets and there is a lot of information on anything with motors tripping afci breakers.
Ayup. 10amp vacuum cleaners are notorious for tripping them. We haven't had any problems with ours, but our vacuum cleaners are relatively new and the motors don't draw as hard when turned on.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
They'll trip when shitty builders hire shitty electricians and they run 14ga NMC wire to multiple receptacles and tie in the lights. I HATE how houses are wired in the US.

Ardvark

They'll trip when shitty builders hire shitty electricians and they run 14ga NMC wire to multiple receptacles and tie in the lights. I HATE how houses are wired in the US.
i ran all 12 gauge 20 amp breakers
separate circuit for lights
my kids do not run power tools in their bedrooms
i dont expect any problems