• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Issues with my jeepy

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
No on the mancard. He's just not a mechanic type of guy. Not that he's dumb about it, but he's too lazy and would rather pay someone to do it then do it himself. He doesn't even own a hammer. :clapping:
How can a man...ANY man...not own a fawking hammer? I think all male children are issued a hammer and a screwdriver when they are born. You cannot live life as a man without those 2 basic items.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
How can a man...ANY man...not own a fawking hammer? I think all male children are issued a hammer and a screwdriver when they are born. You cannot live life as a man without those 2 basic items.
Exactly. Whatever Tooms is dating is not a man. I think we would pretty much all agree on that one at this point.

tooms

Three Hole Wonder
VIP
Exactly. Whatever Tooms is dating is not a man. I think we would pretty much all agree on that one at this point.
I asked about this and it's cuz he did construction for so long while in NYC before he graduated college that he refuses to pick up another tool or do manual work. :clapping:

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Brakes - shops ALWAYS try to sell rotors. Doubtful that you need them.

Water pump - probably your leak. This should be done first. Leaks usually mean the bearing is going and if it fails you are stranded.

Belts - there is only 1. Change at same time you do water pump as you have to take it off anyway.

Track bar broken - doubtful. It would be undriveable if broken. One of the ends is probably just worn. Does it wander when you drive it?

Shocks - lol. What is their criteria?

Talk dieselgal into giving me a BJ and maybe we can work something out.
I agree with this assessment and priority list.

My water pump went at 40K.
Brakes are easy, I need to replace my pads and rotors too.

Track bar - is this a TJcar? Can't be broken or it wouldn't work. Maybe you just need a new steering stabalizer, and even those aren't necessary. In fact, I've been running without one for more than a year.

Shocks are also easy.

the "hardest" repair on your list is the water pump and it isnt really that difficult.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
I took my jeep to Midas to have the oil changed this weekend, and here's all the things they said are wrong with it. I'm making an appt at a place here in Tempe this week that was recommended to me by some jeepers.

Anyway, not sure what should be a priority:

Brakes (they said roaters too - what are the odds?)
Water Pump
Coolant Leak (didn't say where - but I'm putting water in my radiator every week so I realize this)
Belts are cracked (didnt' say which ones)
Track bar broken (duh - LOL)
Shocks (duh)

My biggest concern was the coolant leak - but they didn't even mention it to me. They went for the brakes and water pump and wanted $800 for both.

I said no. The coolant leak I knew was bad cuz the WOP checks it for me every 3-4 days and it's always low.

The tranny is slipping pretty good until it warms up too. That's pretty much my biggest concern.
None of these issues can't be fixed with a pair of tits and a six-pack of beer.

tooms

Three Hole Wonder
VIP
I agree with this assessment and priority list.

My water pump went at 40K.
Brakes are easy, I need to replace my pads and rotors too.

Track bar - is this a TJcar? Can't be broken or it wouldn't work. Maybe you just need a new steering stabalizer, and even those aren't necessary. In fact, I've been running without one for more than a year.

Shocks are also easy.

the "hardest" repair on your list is the water pump and it isnt really that difficult.
Yes, it's a TJcar. My steering stabalizer was replaced about 60K miles ago so maybe that's it? It's pretty damn wobbly...kinda fun sometimes but freaky on the freeway.

How much should I expect to pay a shop to replace my water pump? They wanted $400 at Midas and I'm not paying that. Esp when I still need to buy 2 new tires but haven't found them cheap enough.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
$400 is a little high. The book probably lists it as 1.5 hours of labor and the part. Unless Midas is charging $100 an hour, you should ask around.

tooms

Three Hole Wonder
VIP
From Auto Zone:

Water Pump: $57
Thermostat: $9
Serpentine Belt: $28.99

Here's the write up on how to replace: '05 Water Pump Replacement - 1
Thank you!

Fleg replaced my belt last time a few yrs ago...he got so pissed cuz the book was different then my jeep (and it was night time), so he threw the book on top of the roof...it came down a few months later after the rain. :jump:

I was LOLing. :clapping:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I took my jeep to Midas to have the oil changed this weekend, and here's all the things they said are wrong with it. I'm making an appt at a place here in Tempe this week that was recommended to me by some jeepers.

Anyway, not sure what should be a priority:

Brakes (they said roaters too - what are the odds?)
Water Pump
Coolant Leak (didn't say where - but I'm putting water in my radiator every week so I realize this)
Belts are cracked (didnt' say which ones)
Track bar broken (duh - LOL)
Shocks (duh)

My biggest concern was the coolant leak - but they didn't even mention it to me. They went for the brakes and water pump and wanted $800 for both.

I said no. The coolant leak I knew was bad cuz the WOP checks it for me every 3-4 days and it's always low.

The tranny is slipping pretty good until it warms up too. That's pretty much my biggest concern.
If you want to swing by we can put it up on the lift....

Seriously Jen, you should make WOP buy you a nice supply of quality tools as a gift. Then be the independent beotch and fix your shit yourself.

tooms

Three Hole Wonder
VIP
If you want to swing by we can put it up on the lift....

Seriously Jen, you should make WOP buy you a nice supply of quality tools as a gift. Then be the independent beotch and fix your shit yourself.
Swing by where?!?

I'm not breaking my nails...they're mine and not articial. Plus, I'm fairly mechnically ignorant.

Nah, made an appt at the local place that was referred to me. She LOLed on the phone when I told her about my sway bar...I said, obviously I *knew*. :jump:

Leon could fix all of that crap "wrong" with her Jeep...FACT

easily...

yet I wont touch a nare a bolt or screw...or even bother to lift the hood on my wife's POS Saturn that needs a new waterpump.

she told me she would get rid of that pile of stinking dog feces when the motor died and she couldn't drive it anymore.....

so that's what I am doing......waiting for it to crack a block.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Swing by where?!?

I'm not breaking my nails...they're mine and not articial. Plus, I'm fairly mechnically ignorant.

Nah, made an appt at the local place that was referred to me. She LOLed on the phone when I told her about my sway bar...I said, obviously I *knew*. :jump:
Problem with sway bar too?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
track bar won't make your jeep bounce down the road, what are you trying to describe?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Swing by where?!?

Bah! nails.... pointless accoutrement. Learn to wrench.

Swing by the monastic garage. I has access to lift.