• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Looked at stone yesterday with the :wifey:. She's picked out the color for the stone and the cabinets. It's called Uba Tuba or something like that. Darker color with green, gold, and steel colors. Almost looks black until you really look at it. Cabinet color will be a lighter wood. Maple or something in "ginger".

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Quote for cabinets = $8500+tax and another $1600 for installation. That's about $4k less than Lowes and puts them in the ballpark for actually doing the work for me.

Going to Ikea on 2/21 to see what their offerings look like and will make a decision closer to the end of the month.

Ardvark

I've been looking at the new ikea line just online not in person. Looks pretty similar style wise to old line up. But more drawer options for the base cabinets.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I've been looking at the new ikea line just online not in person. Looks pretty similar style wise to old line up. But more drawer options for the base cabinets.
I'm hoping to be wowed by both the cabinets and price at Ikea. At $4200 for counters, I'd really like to get cabs closer to $5-6k. Figuring ~$5500 for appliances and $2k for floors. Still not sure how I'm going to pay for all of it.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
I'm hoping to be wowed by both the cabinets and price at Ikea. At $4200 for counters, I'd really like to get cabs closer to $5-6k. Figuring ~$5500 for appliances and $2k for floors. Still not sure how I'm going to pay for all of it.
Hopefully you are going to sell to unwitting buyers. Cheaping out on cabinets isn't what I'd do. You can get MUCH higher quality cabinets for the same price if you go with a custom cabinet maker.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
I'm hoping to be wowed by both the cabinets and price at Ikea.
I looked at Ikea cabinets for my last remodel in 2010 and dismissed them almost immediately. They are made of very thin and flimsy material. Drawers should have dove-tail joints. Their lazy-susan didn't look like it would last six months. Unless the quality has changed significantly in 5 years, you will not be impressed. Furthermore, their cabinets ship flat, i.e. you put them together which leaves a LOT of room for out of square cabinets that will wreak havoc on your installation.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Hopefully you are going to sell to unwitting buyers. Cheaping out on cabinets isn't what I'd do.
Here in the real world, we don't see 500% appreciation per year and we know that you get, at best, 80% of the cost of a remodel back out when selling. You don't have to be good at math to see that spending more money isn't the thing you want to do when you know you're going to be pissing $20-30% of it away in the end.

You can get MUCH higher quality cabinets for the same price if you go with a custom cabinet maker.
I have not found that to be the case, though I'm still waiting on two quotes.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I looked at Ikea cabinets for my last remodel in 2010 and dismissed them almost immediately. They are made of very thin and flimsy material. Drawers should have dove-tail joints. Their lazy-susan didn't look like it would last six months. Unless the quality has changed significantly in 5 years, you will not be impressed. Furthermore, their cabinets ship flat, i.e. you put them together which leaves a LOT of room for out of square cabinets that will wreak havoc on your installation.
We'll see. The end results need to be passable to the average home buyer. Fortunately the average buyer isn't Waz and the price point won't demand a $80k kitchen with a $10k top compressor refrigerator.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
We'll see. The end results need to be passable to the average home buyer. Fortunately the average buyer isn't Waz and the price point won't demand a $80k kitchen with a $10k top compressor refrigerator.
Agreed. Just keep in mind that they may ask where you got the cabinets. to me, Ikea is synonymous with college furniture/beginning life after college. Sure I have a few bookshelves and the Poang (which is very sturdy), but for the most part, there's a reason that their stuff costs what it does.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Agreed. Just keep in mind that they may ask where you got the cabinets. to me, Ikea is synonymous with college furniture/beginning life after college. Sure I have a few bookshelves and the Poang (which is very sturdy), but for the most part, there's a reason that their stuff costs what it does.
Agreed. Have my fingers crossed that one of the quotes I have coming will be more reasonable. If I could get custom cabinets for $8k installed, I'd be thrilled and place the order today. Nothing would thrill me more than to only have to do the demo, floors, and appliances myself.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Nothing would thrill me more than to only have to do the demo, floors, and appliances myself.
I didn't realize you weren't planning to do the cabinet install yourself. Actually, that's pretty easy, you just need the help of a friend for a weekend.

I did all the work in my remodel thread myself and we are now into day 11 without a sink. Everything should be put back together by day 13 with only trim moldings to finish on Saturday, day 15 of the project. I did take last week off work to do it in this condensed time frame. If I were doing it full time, it would be fully done once the counter tops are installed on day 13.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
You are asking a fawkload for the house. Who wants to pay a fawkload only to have to turn around and rip out the junk kitchen?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I didn't realize you weren't planning to do the cabinet install yourself. Actually, that's pretty easy, you just need the help of a friend for a weekend.
I am planning on doing it myself, but if, like Matt suggests, I can get custom cabinets installed for the same money as doing it myself, I'd jump at that opportunity.

You are asking a fawkload for the house. Who wants to pay a fawkload only to have to turn around and rip out the junk kitchen?
I am? Didn't realize I had set a price yet, but I can pretty much guarantee you won't find another 4500sq ft house within 50 miles for as little as we'll be asking (or willing to accept).