• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That is about 1500 sq feet more than i would ever want. Give me a nice layout under 2500 and id be a happy camper.
Ditto. Way too much house for my tastes, or budget. I'd be very happy with 2500 + unfinished basement, 2 car garage, and detached shop.

I keep waiting for Matt to criticize my choices in my remodel thread.
Gotta have thick skin around here! In the end, I seriously doubt I'll be saying "man, I wish I had spent more on that kitchen remodel". All that matters to me is the net check we walk away from closing with. I want that check to pay for the land and hopefully a downpayment on the building costs for the house we actually want to live in.

Last edited:

Ardvark

I've done 3 kitchens and have always used a surplus store from a kitchen manufacturer sure you compromise some little details but I was never living In those that long

Ardvark

The ONLY THING that ikea had is the lifetime guarantee
I have three desks and 2 bookshelves and one dresser from them. The dresser has some issues

We put Ikea cabinets in when we did the bar... They are just fine for that purpose, but I don't know that I'd put them in my kitchen.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Meh. Aside from snow chaos, Ikea was pretty much a bust. I might be able to pull it off, but unless I run the numbers and come up with like $4k, I don't think that's the route I'll go.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
About to pull the trigger on the quote from the local granite shop. Asked her to modify the quote for a couple things and will likely pull the trigger tomorrow or Friday. Need to firm up the decisions on appliances.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Revised project plan:
3/22-3/27 - Pack up kitchen, move stuff out of the way
3/27 - Dumpster delivery & appliance delivery
3/28-3/29 - Demolition
3/30-4/5 - Flooring, plumbing & electrical rough-in, drywall, paint
4/6-4/8 - Cabinet install
4/9-4/12 - Island electrical, under cabinet lighting
4/13-4/15 - Counter install
4/17-4/19 - Backsplash & finishing

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cabinets are through the same local company doing the counters. I think the brand is Wellborne or something like that. I figure that if i have the same place doing both that i won't have to deal with finger pointing if there is a problem.

Cabs are something like $8.5k. Install is $1.5k. Counters are $4.2k. Total just under $15k.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Cabs are something like $8.5k. Install is $1.5k. Counters are $4.2k. Total just under $15k.
Funny, I ran the numbers on my kitchen last night and it came to $15,988, of course, I did all the work myself. That includes all Home Depot/Lowe's almost daily receipts for supplies plus cabinets, counter tops, appliances, paint and tile and related materials.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I suspect we'll be in the range of ~$21k when it's all done.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Kitchens are expensive, even if you do it all yourself. In 2010, I had one company quote me $33k at my last place for just cabinets and counters with labor. I did that kitchen for under $10k myself, but I didn't replace the appliances, just counters, cabinets and flooring.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Dumpster will be here Friday. Taking the afternoon off to start work. Already started cleaning out the kitchen. Appliances are delayed until 4/6 or so. Hope we can knock the demo out this weekend.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Demolition is well under way. My brother helped me out today and we got a lot accomplished.

Most of the tile is up. Cabinets and counters are gone. Appliances are gone.

Some of the tile was a bitch to get up. Maybe 1/5 of it. It appears that someone used the correct type of mortar on those tiles. Correct as in the correct type for laying on plywood. Not that I think laying tile on plywood is good, especially in a kitchen. Anyway, that tile took as long as the other 4/5 to remove. Major PITA. The rest of the tile used thinset which is not the correct mortar for tile over plywood. My brother could literally stomp his foot to loosen it up, then remove it by hand.

Oh.... and some asshole shanked a golf ball into a window in the breakfast nook. We didn't notice it until later. Appears that the asshole even retrieved his ball.

Might be a homeowner's claim. Not sure. It's probably going to be expensive to replace because it's fixed and doesn't come out. I'm guessing $600-1k by the time someone comes out, removes it, boards it up, returns with a new one, replaces it, and repaints the trim that they have to remove to get it out. Oh... and it's two storys off the ground.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Sucks about the golf ball...what's your deductible like for that?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Sucks about the golf ball...what's your deductible like for that?
Dunno. I called to try to find out, but all they could tell me was that my deductible is 0.5%. I couldn't ascertain if that's 0.5% of the claim or the value of the house. The latter would be something like $2300 since the insured/replacement value is over $530k. They left a message for my agent to call me, but that'll probably be Monday. Fortunately it's only the outside pane of the double pane window, so it's not a major problem for the weekend.