• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Dunno. I called to try to find out, but all they could tell me was that my deductible is 0.5%. I couldn't ascertain if that's 0.5% of the claim or the value of the house. The latter would be something like $2300 since the insured/replacement value is over $530k. They left a message for my agent to call me, but that'll probably be Monday. Fortunately it's only the outside pane of the double pane window, so it's not a major problem for the weekend.
It's of the value of the house, I'm 99.9% sure.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It's of the value of the house, I'm 99.9% sure.
I kind of feel the same. If that's the case, then I'll probably be paying it out of pocket. I can't imagine it costing > $2k to get fixed. Really sucks because I have enough expenses and shit that needs to be fixed right now and don't really need to deal with new shit getting broken.

edit: On a different note, I'm really glad I got a dumpster and was not having to run a pickup back and forth to the dump. It's amazing how much space we're taking up already. IIRC, it's a 30' bin.

Oh yeah... I also took a sledge hammer to the front of the oven and microwave. :flex:

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I kind of feel the same. If that's the case, then I'll probably be paying it out of pocket. I can't imagine it costing > $2k to get fixed. Really sucks because I have enough expenses and shit that needs to be fixed right now and don't really need to deal with new shit getting broken.

edit: On a different note, I'm really glad I got a dumpster and was not having to run a pickup back and forth to the dump. It's amazing how much space we're taking up already. IIRC, it's a 30' bin.

Oh yeah... I also took a sledge hammer to the front of the oven and microwave. :flex:
I rented a roll-off when I did my floor. It was amazing to have that in the driveway and be able to purge some shit I had been putting off.

I could honestly have purged so much more, too, but we made a good dent.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I rented a roll-off when I did my floor. It was amazing to have that in the driveway and be able to purge some shit I had been putting off.

I could honestly have purged so much more, too, but we made a good dent.
In fall of 2008 when we were selling last house, we rented a 10 yard roll-off for a week.... We purged and it felt good...

Over the last 15 years, we've had the company pay for professional moving company each time.... So no real incentive to get rid of stuff since we didn't have to pack or move it ourselves.

We didn't this last time either, but we knew it needed to be done.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Demo is basically done. The tile was placed on top of a layer of subfloor that was attached on top of the real subfloor. Not sure why someone would elect to lay subfloor on top of subfloor rather than using the proper backer board. Was a pain in the nuts to get up, but it's done. Also cut out a portion of badly water damaged subfloor that I'll need to replace.

Plan for tomorrow is to replace the subfloor that was removed, do some drywall work, and start placing backer board. Will need a thicker backer board to match the level of the moulding, door and transitions.

You can see the water stain on the surrounding pieces of subfloor, but it's structurally sound. The dumpster is pretty full. We've removed an amazing amount of stuff doing this demo work. Going to have the dumpster picked up early next week.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I can't believe you aren't done yet :pirate:
The way I see it, I'm a day ahead of schedule. Had allocated the entire weekend to demo, and I'll be putting stuff back in tomorrow. Plan to be laying tile on Friday the 3rd. Would like to have the tile done, or at least the tile in the main area done by the middle of the day Saturday since cabinets are going in on Monday the 6th and the mortar needs to cure. Will focus on that first, then do the breakfast nook last. Probably will hold off on grouting until the cabinets are in place. Will see.

Going for the next couple weeks without a kitchen is going to suck.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You'll be really happy when it's done. :beerchug:

Did you have to pull any permits or have any inspections done after?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Negative on permits or inspections. As far as I'm concerned, cabinets and appliances are removable items like curtains or carpet.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got a little bit of a late start today after going out for breakfast and going to Lowes & Homey D to shop for tile and to other things that the :wifey: had on her mind.

One of the issues I was facing was deciding what underlayment to use because I need to make the tile level with the lip/threshold around the kitchen. We pulled out 1/2" plywood with tile placed directly on top. Logic would dictate that the combination would be 7/8", but the lip was only 3/4". I think they managed to make it flush because they didn't use enough mortar, which partially explains why the tile was so easy to remove.

Replaced the subfloor that I cut out yesterday.

Fixed the drywall over the refrigerator nook where we had to clearance for the new 'fridge. You can see the cut-out in this pic:

I purchased a 1/2" and a 1/4" sheet of HardieBacker and a box of the tile we picked and cut a section from each, then mixed up some mortar and placed a tile on it. The 1/4" was the right height.

Back to Lowe's, where I locked the key in the truck, and picked up 30 sheets of backer board, then had to wait on my FIL to meet me in my TJ and bring me a key. Finished up the day laying 4 sheets of backer board, then doing some cleanup so we could get the wife's vehicle back in the garage.

Doesn't feel like I got much done today, despite working for about 8 hours. I guess that's the difference between working solo and having help. Had two friends for part of the day yesterday (one for most of the day), and my brother for half the day Friday.

Running total for the kitchen as of today:
$11,500 - Deposit on cabs/counters
$3,365.28 - Appliances (Lowes)
~$500 - Flooring material - Lowe's (today)

edit: I'm absolutely beat. I'm really getting to old for this crap.

Last edited:

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Laying Hardibacker on my kitchen floor took an entire day, though I was using the 1/2". So many fawking screws and if you don't have a nice drill, forget about it. Oh yeah, make sure you get a blade for your circular saw that will cut that shiat. Using a knife to cut it is just stupid hard.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Honestly, the dust from the saw is what keeps me from doing much cutting with anything other than a razor blade. I do have a Rotozip that I'll use to put holes in it for a couple electrical lines (washer & island), but I will likely do all the scoring and breaking by hand. I'll probably cut one piece to fit in the spot where the fridge is rather than continuing to lay it in the same pattern, cutting out for the wall.

I find the Hardiebacker install to be the easiest part of the job. I dislike mixing & placing mortar and placing/spacing the tiles. Grouting annoys me as well.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
the dust from the saw is what keeps me from doing much cutting with anything other than a razor blade.
Do your cutting outside. It's not that bad. There were only about 3 or 4 boards in my entire kitchen that didn't have to be cut. I broke a blade on the first one and even still it wouldn't break. I went for the blade and it was nice and fast.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
This is child's play compared to the master bath. It may be right up there cost-wise, but level of effort on my part is minimal. If I have 7 days worth of my personal effort into it, I'd be surprised. I think it'll be more like 5-6 8 hour days over a three week period. I started the master bath on 12/20/12 and wasn't really even finished with the finish work as of 3/30/13 when we moved in. I spent my entire Christmas/New Years holiday working on it, plus every weekend, Friday off, evenings after work, and MLK day working on the damn thing.... and I had more help with it than I do with this.