• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

motorcycle shopping

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Welp, ended up popping the carbs, whoever the mechanic was that worked on them (I have the invoice) didn't put a gasket on the float bowl, had some other crap not adjusted correctly. Cleaned up the carb and ran great for about two miles and boom, main jet clogged. Need a fuel filter on the tank. At least I know how to quickley remove them and re assemble.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Sweet. It's a plastic tank, right?
No it's metal, I looked in there the other day and it looks perfect. Now I'm thinking the silicone on that I had to use on the float bowl probably dislogged a tiny piece. I have to buy some parts today and pull them again.

The way it ran for that small ammount of time was good. Damn thing has some pull but a thumper 600 will do that.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I tore it back down before I left this morning. The silicon turned to goop. Lesson learned. Amazing that in 13 minutes you can have the carbs off this thing. Nicely engineered unit. All of it done with a 10mm and philips minus the throttle linkage to the carb.

tooms

Three Hole Wonder
VIP
I had this exact same model and year for many years. It's not as shitty a ride as one may think. It's around 350 lbs, 45hp and pulls really well.
The only thing that ever bothered me on main roads was 18 wheelers...but anyone else passing wasn't that bad. I only did up to 65mph on my DR tho.

On my REX bike I was totally fine, but it was much heavier and made for street.

I am hoping to start bike shopping by the end of the summer.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The only thing that ever bothered me on main roads was 18 wheelers...but anyone else passing wasn't that bad. I only did up to 65mph on my DR tho.

On my REX bike I was totally fine, but it was much heavier and made for street.

I am hoping to start bike shopping by the end of the summer.
My KTM weighs 250lbs and I'll jack that bitch up toward 100 at the drop of a hat.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Finally seem to have the carb about 90% dialed in. I ordered a carb kit and will renew it regardless. If it's not where I want it to be I'm going to have it dyno tuned.

Last edited:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Tuning the KZ's inline 4 carbs was great. :rotflmao:

There's a homebrew way to do it. Not sure if it's the same for inline 2 carbs.
It's more like a primary, secondary setup. Not a whole lot of info on tuning them either. Certainly feels like I'm close. Power is good but still feel like it should have more grunt for a bike that has ~40hp to the rear wheel and is relatively light.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Welp, pulled the carbs again. ripped them down, put about 4 cups of simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner and 4.5 gals of water. Put carbs in for about 45 minutes. Talk about a cloud of shit that came out of them, was neat to observe. Received my carb kit that I bought from a company in Canada. HOLY SHIT it's like a new bike! Thing is running amazingly well. My old one never ran like this. Live and learn.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Finally seem to have the carb about 90% dialed in. I ordered a carb kit and will renew it regardless. If it's not where I want it to be I'm going to have it dyno tuned.
I must have been high when I wrote this. Night and day now. There is no comparison. Thing revs about 100 x's faster and hits 55 in second. Before it wasn't even close but still was ok enough. I'm a happy camper.