• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

ATTN: Proud southerners

Someone explain to me why they weren't all hung as traitors :puzzled:.

Treason-The offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country or of assisting its enemies in war
Section 3 - Treason Note

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.
http://www.usconstitution.net/
:bigcorn:

Someone explain to me why they weren't all hung as traitors :puzzled:.

http://www.usconstitution.net/
:bigcorn:
Probably because they were the people that made rope.

I dunno, maybe they got out on a technicality since they seceded first, thus when the war came about it wasn't really treason because it wasn't their government anymore. Maybe, I dunno. Doesn't make sense that they'd pay attention to the slavery abolition in that case though, does it?

They probably just couldn't afford to do so. I mean, how can you kill off 1/3 of your population, even if they do really dumb ****? Maybe if that 1/3 were evenly distributed around the country you could, but even then the country would have lots of shortages. When they are all in one area which has specific purpose to the rest of the nation, you can't just kill them off. I guess the best you can do is beat them down and get them back to work, which is what happened, best I can tell. Hell, I think the fact that they couldn't do without them is the whole reason the war became a war, rather than just a pissing match.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad they weren't hung - I don't guess I'd be around if they were. That doesn't make much difference to most people, but it damn sure does to me.

I dunno, maybe they got out on a technicality since they seceded first, thus when the war came about it wasn't really treason because it wasn't their government anymore. Maybe, I dunno. Doesn't make sense that they'd pay attention to the slavery abolition in that case though, does it?

They probably just couldn't afford to do so. I mean, how can you kill off 1/3 of your population, even if they do really dumb ****? Maybe if that 1/3 were evenly distributed around the country you could, but even then the country would have lots of shortages. When they are all in one area which has specific purpose to the rest of the nation, you can't just kill them off. I guess the best you can do is beat them down and get them back to work, which is what happened, best I can tell. Hell, I think the fact that they couldn't do without them is the whole reason the war became a war, rather than just a pissing match.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad they weren't hung - I don't guess I'd be around if they were. That doesn't make much difference to most people, but it damn sure does to me.
Meh. Up until about a year ago I was against anything that had anything to do with the confederacy. After tolerating Mid-GA for 5 years, I can't say that some old ways would be a bad thing.

Meh. Up until about a year ago I was against anything that had anything to do with the confederacy. After tolerating Mid-GA for 5 years, I can't say that some old ways would be a bad thing.
I don't really know anything about the confederacy. Everything I know about history I learned on JU.

for the life of me, I can't figure out for sure, which side my ancestors fought for. Quite possibly, from my father's side, my grandfather's side was Union, and my grandmother's side could very possibly been Confederate.

My mother's side were a bunch of dirty Kanuckians, so they probably just claimed it was an illegal war and lived off the protection that the Union troops they didn't like protected their draft dodging behinds. :jump:

for the life of me, I can't figure out for sure, which side my ancestors fought for. Quite possibly, from my father's side, my grandfather's side was Union, and my grandmother's side could very possibly been Confederate.

My mother's side were a bunch of dirty Kanuckians, so they probably just claimed it was an illegal war and lived off the protection that the Union troops they didn't like protected their draft dodging behinds. :jump:
My entire family tree is branched out all over New England. I don't have to put much thought into that one :yup:.

Taggart [JU]

Archived
Someone explain to me why they weren't all hung as traitors :puzzled:
Because Lincoln, unlike you, was wise enough to see that doing so would detract, in fact make impossible, the reconciliation that was necessary to glue the country back together again.

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds."

That's why.

Because Lincoln, unlike you, was wise enough to see that doing so would detract, in fact make impossible, the reconciliation that was necessary to glue the country back together again.

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds."

That's why.
No $hit :jump:. I jumped into this because this exact topic (the one I started ) was discussed in one of my classes earlier this week.

that's funny right there, duane. From a historical point of view, I'd love to hear about how he pulled off that one. And why.

did he commit suicide :jump:

Taggart [JU]

Archived

Not only were the Confederate troops and officers not punished, Grant allowed them to take home with them the firearms and horses that were personally owned. He famously refused to accept Lee's sword. Grant got it.

If I had to speculate, probably had nothing to do with 'fighting for the right or winning side" Probably like you said, in it for the money.

do you know which side he fought for first/last? If it was south then north, it could very well have been because the souf wasn't paying and the north was.